A laptop computer is a portable computer that allows you to do all the same things you can do on your desktop. Laptop batteries are one of the most important parts of any laptop because it’s what keeps everything running.
The battery life will depend on how often you use your laptop and what settings you have for your power options, so read on to learn more about increasing battery life!
What is the average battery life of a laptop?
The standard battery life of a laptop is approximately three hours. This will vary depending on what you’re doing with your computer, however. For example, video playback and internet usage will drain the battery faster than working in Word would! If you’d like to know more about how to use your laptop efficiently check out our article: 8 Ways To Boost Your Laptop’s Battery Life.
How do I maximize my laptop battery life?
Turning your display to low can help you save power. This is because brighter displays need more power, so turning the brightness down or switching to a darker theme can increase your battery life by 10-20%. You might also want to consider disabling desktop effects, the screensaver, and putting your pc to sleep when not in use. You should also uninstall any programs you don’t regularly use because they run in the background and drain battery life.
Where can I find my laptop’s wireless adapter?
The location of your wireless card will vary depending on what model of laptop you have, however, most laptops have them on the left and right sides of the palm rest
What is a function key and how do I use it?
On your keyboard, you should see an icon that looks like this: (F1-F12) These keys are called function keys. You can hold down Fn at the same time as one of these keys and they will perform a secondary function, such as adjusting the volume or brightness. To do this press F2 to adjust brightness and F3 to adjust the volume.
What is an extension cable and why would I need it?
An extension cord allows you to extend your current power supply by connecting another cord to your pc. This is useful if your current power supply doesn’t reach the plug where you are, or if you need more ports for your peripherals. If you’d like to learn how to use an extension cord correctly check out our article Tips For Connecting Multiple Devices To One Power Outlet.
What is Bluetooth and how does it work?
Bluetooth is a type of wireless connection that can be used to connect devices wirelessly. Bluetooth is useful in situations where you want the convenience of not having wires, for instance when you’re using your phone or headset to talk with someone on Skype. To learn more about how Bluetooth works check out our article: What Is Bluetooth And How Does It Work ?.
What is a docking station and how does it work?
A docking station allows you to add more peripherals such as printers, monitors, and more USB ports. It also offers an easily accessible place to store your laptop when it’s not in use, which allows for easy access if you need to get information from your laptop when it’s in the docking station. To learn more about how a docking station works check out our article: What Is A Docking Station And How Do I Use It?.
How do I use an external hard drive with my laptop?
Before you can use an external hard drive, you’ll need to plug it in and allow your computer to install the drivers. Once you’ve plugged it in you can open a file explorer, such as Windows Explorer or Finder, and see if it shows as a separate disk under your computer’s hard drives. If so, right-click on the external drive and go to Open, then double click on the new external hard drive which should now have a little hard drive icon on it.
What does a docking station do?
A docking station allows you to add more peripherals such as printers, monitors and more USB ports. It also offers an easily accessible place to store your laptop when it’s not in use, which allows for easy access if you need to get information from your laptop when it’s in the docking station. To learn more about how a docking station works check out our article: What Is A Docking Station And How Do I Use It? .
What are some tips to make my computer last longer?
To make your computer last longer, you should try to keep the temperature of your room below 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, don’t block vents on the bottom of your computer and avoid placing them on cushioned surfaces. If you’d like to learn more about how to take care of your laptop check out our article: How To Take Care Of Your Laptop?
Tips for extending the life of your laptop battery
Laptop batteries don’t last forever. If you’re lucky, you might get a couple of years out of one before it loses its ability to hold a charge and you have to replace it. But some tips from laptop manufacturers can help make your battery last a little longer.
1) Don’t use the CD or DVD drive. This is one of the biggest power users on a laptop. If you can boot up and run your applications from memory (whether that’s RAM or a USB drive), then do it!
2) Processors account for about 20% of a laptop’s power requirements. You can certainly shut down all the apps you aren’t using, but the easiest way to save battery life without giving up speed is to just reduce the processor’s speed. For Windows, you can change this under “Power Options.” Click “Choose a power plan” and then click on your current power plan and hit “Change plan settings.” Click the “Processor power management” tab and choose “Minimum processor state. This will keep your processor running at a reduced speed even when it’s not doing anything.
3) Turn down the display brightness. Yes, those LCD backlights suck a lot of power, but reducing them by just a third can make a big difference. If you have to use it in sunlight or another bright environment, consider investing in an external monitor to give your battery a break.
4) Reducing the polling rate on your wireless network cards will save even more power. This is done in “Advanced settings” for each card under the Advanced tab in Network Connections (or whatever your OS calls it). Just change the frequency to avoid receiving data too often.
5) Turn off the touchpad. This is the biggest battery hog on most laptops. Check your hardware configuration to see if you have a physical button for this, but if not, check out TouchFreeze under “Power Options” in your system tray. It will disable the touchpad when you are typing so that accidental taps don’t happen and send your cursor all over your document.
6) Don’t use the CD or DVD drive, above. Seriously! It would be crazy not to mention it again!
7) If you’re using a desktop dock to connect your laptop to multiple monitors and peripherals when you’re at your desk, then turn it off when you step away. It doesn’t take long to connect and disconnect such a device, but leaving it on (and the laptop screen turned on) when you’re not there is like having a rock-blasting laser pointed at your battery.
8) Use the appropriate manufacturer’s power management utility for your hardware. Even if you have Windows 7 or Vista installed, the manufacturer might have special drivers and power management features for their hardware. Check to see what they can do for you.
9) Finally, one of the best ways to improve battery life is to reduce the overall power usage in your home by using energy-efficient appliances and switching off lights when you leave a room. Just kidding! Turn off the lights! And if you really want to get serious about saving energy, consider purchasing a solar panel system to supplement your daily usage. For more information, see SunRun’s Guide to Home Solar Power.